top of page


You can borrow material both physically and digitally from the Hammond Public Library. All you need is a Library card in good standing to do so. If you need to sign up for a Library card you can do so online or by visiting the Hammond Public Library. 

Digital Material

With a valid Hammond Public Library card you can borrow material from the following digital resources. For more digital resources you can find them here

Overdrive Logo
hoopla logo
flipster logo
Freegal logo
Working on Laptop

Physical Material

An assortment of physical material can be checked out at the Hammond public library including: Books, Magazines, DVD's, Blu-Ray's, Audio Cd's and Wi-Fi Hot Spots.

Books, Magazines and Audio CD's can be checked out for 2 weeks, with up to 3 auto renewals.

DVD's and Blu-Rays can be checked out for 7 days, with 1 auto renewal.

Wi-Fi Hot Spots can be checked out for 7 days, with no renewals. Wi-Fi Hot Spots are only available to Hammond Residents.

Hammond residents age 14 and over can apply for a RESIDENT card (2-year expiration) with any of the following proof of identity and address items:


• Recent Lake County Property Tax Bill

• Indiana BMV Driver’s License

• Indiana BMV State ID

• Recent Bank or Credit Union Statement (Within 1 month)

• School Class Schedule or Report Card (Current semester) with Picture I.D. attached

• Mexican Consular ID with Official Stamp and Serial Number

• Current Rental Receipt Showing Hammond Address (Within 1 month)

• Current Utility Bill with Name of Applicant and Address (Within 1 month)

• Dated Mail from Federal/Local Governmental Agency (Within 1 month)


Resident patrons who are unable to visit the Library because of temporary or permanent disability, may request special selection and delivery service free of charge with an OUTREACH SERVICES card (2-year expiration). Please contact Outreach Services at ext. 339 for more information.


Children who reside in Hammond under the age of 14 need a parent or legal guardian present to sign and provide any of the items above at time of application (2-year expiration) for a YOUTH RESIDENT card.


Borrowers from local library districts- East Chicago, Crown Point, Gary, Lake County (this includes Highland, Munster, Griffith, and all other cites included in the Lake County system of coverage), Lowell, and Whiting may obtain HPL RECIPROCAL Cards (2-year expiration) at no charge.  A home library card is required as well as personal identification from the above list.


Students of ANY school located in Hammond (charter, private, university) are eligible for a STUDENT card. Bring one piece of ID listed above for your address AND proof of current enrollment at the Hammond based school. Student cards are valid for 1 year.


School teachers from School City of Hammond, charter, private and parochial schools, colleges and universities, preschools, day care centers, licensed home day care sites, and community after school programs within the boundaries of Hammond may apply for a CLASSROOM card.  Confirmation of employment is needed, as well as personal identification. Classroom cards expire after 1 year.


COMPANY or BUSINESS cards (2-year expiration) can be issued to any business located in Hammond upon presentation of proof of ownership (stationery, bank statement).  A signature of the owner or designated manager is required. The responsibility for fines, fees, damaged or lost material that is incurred will be placed on the company or business to whom the card is issued.


PROPERTY OWNER cards (2-year expiration) can be issued to individuals who own property within Hammond. Personal identification and proof of ownership of Hammond property are required at time of application.


PLAC (Public Library Access Card) borrowers whose home libraries are not included in the local area or statewide reciprocal agreements may check out material in any library in Indiana. They are given a Hammond Library card effective until the expiration date of the PLAC presented. PLAC can be purchased at any library. Prices and expirations are subject to change, please contact Circulation Services for current price.

bottom of page